40 Days in Mark’s Gospel – Day 25

Mark 10:23  “Jesus, looking around, said to His disciples, ‘How hard it will be for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God!'”

I wish Jesus hadn’t said that. Thankfully, I’m not wealthy. Not Bill Gates wealthy. Not Warren Buffet wealthy. Not even $100,000 per year wealthy. Phew!

I’m so glad Jesus wasn’t talking about me.

WealthResearch by Oxfam, an anti-poverty charity, shows that the wealthiest 1% of the world will own more of the world’s wealth than the other 99% put together, by next year (2016). I think I can assure you that this will not include me. Once again, I’m relieved. Obviously, Jesus was talking about other people.

In January 2013, the World Bank reported that almost half the world — over three billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day. But poverty in the developing world goes far beyond income poverty.

Truth be told, if I can pay my bills on time, have a regular income and some kind of health coverage, can afford a home (even with a mortgage), own a car, eat out, visit movies, and have a wardrobe of more than one outfit (even if I have credit card debt), I am indeed among the wealthiest of this world … and the target of Jesus’ comment.

And He declares that it will be hard for me to enter the kingdom of God.

Jesus may be speaking about salvation, but I suspect it is more likely that He means we will struggle to live well and fully, to flourish, in the reign of God; especially when we have relatively little need for Christ. When I’m sick, I don’t pray. I visit a doctor. When I am hungry, I don’t learn simplicity. I buy what I want. The material comforts and access, distract me from immaterial priorities.

Historically, Lent has been a season to not only give something up, but to give something away. It calls for self-denial on the one hand and generosity on the other.

Perhaps today, as an act of faith and devotion, we can practice the grace of generosity with others, with the poorest. And in doing so, may we experience a touch more of the kingdom of God among us and within us.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to 40 Days in Mark’s Gospel – Day 25

  1. Scott says:

    I’ve been trying to think of myself as more of a conduit of resources and not a consumer. My tomato plant was a total bust a few years ago. I bought a good one took it home put it in a pot and fertilized it. I watered it frequently and made sure it had plenty of sun. But in the end it yellowed, produced no fruit and died. Meanwhile my mother-in-law’s next door flourished and produced huge, bright, red tomatoes. I finally swallowed my pride and asked her what her secret was. “You have to put holes in the bottom of the pot.” Who knew? My plant needed to be a conduit. I could have put my plant on a steel grate with a tomato plant underneath and if both pots had holes in the bottom I never would have had to water the one underneath. The one above would have been a conduit and both would have flourished. Lesson learned.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s